Shearman & Sterling LLP
We are seeking a Business Development Executive to support the Senior BD Manager with the implementation of marketing and business development activities for the Finance, working closely with our Restructuring, Leveraged Finance and Capital Markets practice groups.
The Main Duties And Responsibilities Are Outlined Below:
This proactive, hands-on role offers a balance of project ownership/autonomy with the opportunity to get involved in team BD & Marketing initiatives in a dynamic and international environment, with significant partner liaison. This role would suit an analytical thinker who can use research and data to identify BD opportunities and developments. There will also be significant collaboration with colleagues across different offices, particularly in New York, the UAE, Europe and Asia as well as with other practice groups in London.
Practice, Client and Business Development:
- Supporting Practice Group Heads and the Senior BD Manager to drive client targeting initiatives for the groups
- Providing CRM support for specific clients in the client programme
- Co-ordinating client research, tracking client development activities via InterAction and keeping up-to-date with Firm news and industry developments
- Drafting and co-ordinating strategic pitch, proposals and credential documents including CVs and experience lists to help win work for the practice groups and tracking outcomes
- Writing compelling directory submissions for the London and Europe-wide practices and feeding into the Global legal directories as necessary
- Co-ordinating with the legal directory researchers to organise interviews, provide briefing packs for the partners and initiate follow up activities
- Tracking and analysing relevant market trends including regular review of competitive data and of the groups’ positions and achievements versus competitors
- Acting as an advocate of best practice approaches to business development activities in the London office
- Build strong business relationships with both internal and external clients, and key industry associations, as well as business development colleagues around the globe
Marketing and Events :
- Using social media channels, including LinkedIn, to promote the Firm and utilising Sales Navigator to monitor our client’s activity
- Working with the Marketing team in New York to support digital marketing campaigns
- Working closely with the Senior BD Manager and the Communications team to continue raising the profile of the groups through proactive and timely communications activities – including thought leadership, client briefings/seminars and training programmes
- Working with the Events Manager to evaluate and implement strategic events to deliver maximum visibility and return on investment
- Assisting with conference opportunities and sponsorship agreements at key conferences in London, ensuring that the Firm is well represented and promoted
- Updating practice group content for the website
- Writing engaging print and online client materials, including brochures, flyers and bulletins
- Acting as a brand ambassador, producing documents in PowerPoint and Word that adhere to the Firm’s brand and design guidelines
Qualifications & Experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in marketing
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in professional services or legal marketing is essential
- Must be familiar with project managing and writing pitches, legal directories and other marketing materials
- A proactive approach and commercial outlook with the willingness to take the initiative and challenge status quo
- Proven ability to manage multiple deliverables within a tight timeframe and manage stakeholder expectations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Strong sense of teamwork, positive and enthusiastic
About The Firm:
Shearman & Sterling has a long and distinguished history of supporting our clients wherever they do business, from major financial centers to emerging and growth markets. We represent many of the world’s leading corporations and major financial institutions, as well as emerging growth companies, governments and state-owned enterprises –often working on ground-breaking, precedent-setting matters. With a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses and the industries where they operate, our work is driven by their need for outstanding legal and commercial advice.
With over 850 lawyers around the world speaking more than 75 languages and practising US, English, French, German, Italian, Hong Kong, OHADA and Saudi law. Combining legal knowledge with industry expertise, our team provides commercial advice to help our clients achieve their ambitions. We are committed to forging long-term relationships by providing genuine insight and practical advice to clients as they navigate the challenges of the 21st century global economy.
The Restructuring group represents a wide range of clients, both on the debtor and the creditor side, on the full spectrum of complex cross-border restructuring matters. They are a newly formed team and are rapidly growing; they need a proactive BD professional to help grow and develop the practice. The Restructuring team works hand-in-hand with our top tier Leveraged Finance and Capital Market groups who are leaders in the high yield and leveraged bank market, advising on some of the most high-profile leveraged finance deals in Europe. They regularly work with commercial and investment banks, private equity sponsors and corporate borrowers.