Sustainable Business Network
About the job
The Sustainable Business Network (SBN) is a social enterprise made up of businesses, governmental agencies and organisations located across the country. Established in October 2002, SBN is the largest and longest-standing organisation dedicated to sustainable business in New Zealand.
Our network consists of hundreds of progressive organisations and people that collectively invest in and act on system change. We are focused on Acting on Climate, Designing out Waste and Regenerating Nature.
As an organisation we are committed to supporting and learning from Māori and indigenous peoples and their relationship with the environment. The following whakatauki helps to guide this within our organisation. Manaaki whenua, manaaki tāngata, haere whakamua – If we care for the land, if we care for people, we can move forward into the future.
We operate flexible working conditions with the ability to split work days between office and home as required. We are currently trialling a 9-day working week with every other Friday off.
REGENERATING NATURE PROGRAMME
The Nature Team at SBN has three key delivery programmes to scale up the investment needed to reverse biodiversity loss in Aotearoa-New Zealand: Million Metres nationwide project, Hauraki Gulf project, and the Puhinui Regeneration Project.
This role will primarily focus on the Puhinui project but will also support investment into the wider programme. The Puhinui project is focused on creating the conditions for the restoration of the mauri (lifeforce, vitality) of the land, waters and communities of the Puhinui catchment. We’re creating and financing jobs for local rangatahi that contribute to a restoration vision led by mana whenua and the local community (https://sustainable.org.nz/projects/puhinui-regeneration-project/).
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This role is a critical position within the SBN team aimed at meeting the 5-year aspirations of raising $34million for Nature Regeneration. With an emphasis on raising funds for our Puhinui project this role supports investment into the wider Nature Regeneration programme.
This programme is set to inform our wider Regeneration programme with successful practices being integrated into the wider nature regeneration programme.
The role requires a motivated self-starter with a passion for the environment. The role works collaboratively and flexibly across the SBN team to ensure excellent delivery of projects.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identification of potential funders, both businesses and philanthropic organisations
- Pitching and securing funding commitments, preparing and negotiating funding agreements
- Development of strong relationships with investors to understand their needs and ensure ongoing satisfaction and continued investment in our projects
- Arranging necessary workshops to assist in engaging the staff of our funders
- Assist in organising hands on corporate planting days and boots on the ground experiences (as appropriate)
- Delivering impact reporting for investors to demonstrate the value being delivered through metrics such number of nature jobs created, training/skills obtained, nature regeneration outcomes on the ground
- Regular check-ins with funders to raise awareness of the outcomes of their funding
- Strong sales and negotiation skills to secure funding commitments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong relationship management skills – the ability to build relationships and partnerships with multiple and diverse stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Problem Solving – able to approach issues with a solution mindset and proactively look for better ways to operate
- Good knowledge and very strong interest in sustainability, preferably gained from an applied setting (i.e. work or tertiary study)
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Proactive approach – shows initiative, adapts to change and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Project Management Platforms