Standard Chartered Bank
About the job
About the Venture
Solv Malaysia (the “Venture”) is a newly formed SCV-backed entity creating a digital Business to Business (“B2B”) e-commerce marketplace that will address growth challenges for the micro, small and medium-sized businesses (“MSMEs”) in Malaysia while linking them to local and global supply chains.
The platform will help MSMEs grow their business by connecting verified buyers and sellers, facilitating them for quick and easy access to finance; as well as taking advantage of affordable and reliable business services to meet the pain points of the MSMEs in Malaysia.
The Role Responsibilities
- Take responsibility and accountability for day to day running of the business.
- Track performance, development, and implementation of business-critical issues.
- Ensure effective communication of key messages across direct / indirect team members.
- Analysis of Revenues and Returns for the business and assisting the CEO with KPI management.
- Tracking performance to budget and identifying risks and opportunities to deliver the targeted business performance.
- Assisting with strategic planning including the development and production of strategic plans, management reviews, performance updates and associated research, analysis, and presentation.
- Support the CEO to innovate existing business models by linking market changes, drive collaboration and enhance client experience for client growth and higher returns.
- Ensure the design and delivery of initiatives are consistent with the business & functional strategy where appropriate.
- Engage with internal & external stakeholders where appropriate to ensure all change initiatives are reflective of business and industry requirements and fit for purpose in delivering our mission.
- Build and drive the management and operations processes including creation of DOIs and process documents.
- Closely monitor the development, implementation and performance of business-critical issues. Drive regular business review meetings, conduct proactive data analysis on all metrics, including monthly financials, pipeline, budgets, staff, audit reports etc.
- Provide business management, coordination, and project management support for senior management.
- Support the CEO in managing & delivering budgetary performance.
- Develop an end-to-end scalable infrastructure and processes to execute business processes.
- Prepare reports, presentations, papers, and review material to support discussions and decision making at various forums, including regulatory reporting. This will involve consolidating and integrating material from various sources and ensuring the final output is fit for purpose and aligned with the company’s requirements.
- Continuously improve business management efficiency by simplifying and standardizing operational processes and procedures. Identify and implement best practices in resources and processes, ensuring consistency and relevancy.
- Work with business and infrastructure stakeholders to identify and prioritise enhancements where applicable, and associated business cases and investments.
- Coordinate and support business engagements or ad-hoc requirements with other teams / partners and external parties (i.e. consultants, vendors, auditors, regulators, clients, media/publications, etc).
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines
- Collaborate with the Chief Risk Officer to identify, escalate, mitigate, and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters
- Vendor management: follow up on quotations, raise engagement request, follow up with TPSA/contract/NDA/invoicing, raise ePro and ensure payments are submitted in a timely manner
- Internal logistic coordination and raise purchase requests
- Oversee procurement including IT hardware office equipment etc.
Overall Business & Strategy
- Drive the vision, strategy, direction and leadership in support of the Venture’s strategic direction and growth aspirations in regards to operational aspects.
- Be a leader for the operational arm of the business ensuring the team under them remains focused and delivers way above and beyond the deliverables
- Ensure the operational arm supports revenue earning as per projections
- Work with business teams to support Identification, pitching and onboarding of strategic FIs and Anchors onto the SOLV platform.
- Establish close links with colleagues leading other Product segments and/or Product Groups to achieve common platforms and work plans, implementing a One Venture approach to covering all clients from the various arms.
- In accordance with the Ventures Enterprise Risk Management Framework, act as first line Risk Owner for appropriate and relevant Venture processes.
- Collaborate with the Risk and Compliance Team Members to anticipate horizon risks that may have a significant impact on the Ventures and develop effective strategies to mitigate such horizon risks including global standards for conduct of business.
- Collaborate with Risk and Compliance Team and senior managers to support a programme for conduct, financial crime and compliance monitoring, surveillance and/or assurance for the Solv business in Malaysia
- In the event of serious regulatory breaches, or where risk tolerances have been breached, working with Risk and Governance, ensure senior management in the Venture and relevant regulators are informed and that actions are taken quickly to remediate and/or activities are ceased.
- Working with the Risk and Compliance Officer ensure proactive and timely identification, assessment, advice and dissemination of evolving regulatory changes/practices and associated risks, and proactive engagement in regulatory reform.
- Liaise with the internal audit function to ensure that any weakness identified by the internal audit function relating to the SOLV operational business in Malaysia are appropriately followed up and closed in a timely manner.
- Understand technical aspects of systems relevant to the SOLV Malaysia operational business.
- Together with the Risk Team, assess risks arising from products / segments / geographies / customers / transactions related to operational business.
- Ensure any operational matters related global standards are understood and implemented across the area of responsibility, with any identified exceptions, or need for more/less stringent standards escalated when appropriate.
- Effectively engage Solv Malaysia and SCV stakeholders across functions
- Strong communication skills, ability to tailor ideas to required audience and stakeholders
- Possess a driven, can-do attitude and proactive in supporting stakeholder engagement
- Comfortable in working with multiple stakeholders’ teams and functions
- Build strong and effective relationships with the various technology and business counterparts
- Some experience in co-ordination of multiple dependencies and stakeholders in complex, large scale deployment environments
People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from a operational perspective for SOLV Malaysia to the team and work in collaboration with the rest of the Senior Management Team.
- Promote and embed a culture of openness, trust and risk awareness, where ethical, legal, regulatory and policy compliant conduct is the norm.
- Stimulate an environment where forward planning, prioritisation, deadline management, target achievement, creating good customer relations and loyalty and streamlined workflows and collaborative, inclusive yet effective and efficient work practices are the norm.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for the relationship managers and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development in order that the rest of the team are competent, suitably skilled and qualified for their roles, ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Provide feedback at business, function, country and individual level as appropriate, on products and business performance.
- Ensure regular and documented management meetings with the senior management team on the performance of operations of SOLV Malaysia.
- Attend relevant leadership meetings and provide relevant reports to senior management and governance/risk committees for the area of responsibility.
- Working with multiple stakeholders, identify and escalate potential risks and issues to senior management through appropriate governance channels and the Quality Assurance framework.
- Ensure appropriate Product governance measures are in place so that product approval documents reflect all relevant requirements.
- Propose control effectiveness and efficiency improvements and simplifications where appropriate.
- Ensure the end-to-end life cycle of audit, assurance and regulatory reviews for the area of responsibilty is managed appropriately, including tracking, remediation and preparing lessons learned from such reviews.
- Within the Group’s Enterprise Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain appropriate risk based framework for identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, mitigating and reporting compliance (including regulatory and financial crime) risks across SOLV Malaysia.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Solv Malaysia’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk matters in operational Business matters.
- Work with Risk Team and relevant stakeholders to respond to regulatory questions.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across SOLV Malaysia’s operational business. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and Solv’s Code of Conduct.
- Venture Lead / CEO
- Solv Malaysia team members
Desired Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- 15+ years of experience
- Experience working in corporates and ideally start-up environment
- Strong operational management, analytics, problem-solving, interpersonal and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to learn quick and thrive in ambiguous environment
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written
- Experience of running large complex projects in a start-up environment is a plus
- Being able to manage budgets in greenfield digital space
- Personal integrity and proactive hand-on working attitude
- Imaginative and creative approach to how we do work
- Curiosity about new technologies, workflows, and products
- Ability to see things from multiple perspectives, learn every day as well as continuously challenge the status quo of yourself, the team and the direction Solv Malaysia goes
- Tireless work ethic and enthusiasm to execute and get things done
About SC Ventures
SC Ventures, part of Standard Chartered Bank (the “Bank”), is the platform and catalyst for innovation, investments in disruptive financial technology and exploration of alternative business models.
- Our eXellerator enables us to facilitate innovation and culture change within the Bank and with our ecosystem partners; to change the way the Bank serves clients.
- Our innovation investment fund enables our investment in validated fintech to develop future tech capabilities; integrating technology and capabilities into the Bank and ventures to drive speed and scale.
- Our venture building stream explores new business models, with the objective of providing ‘optionality’ for the Group in the way it engages existing and new customers and markets.
Across our workstreams, we are building ecosystems around high conviction themes, the building blocks of financial system of the future; including Digital Banking & Lifestyle platforms; E-commerce, Online economy & Payments; SMEs, World Trade & Supply Chains; Digital Assets & Tokenization; Capability as a service; and Sustainability & Inclusion.
We are a global team of “Members” (excluding individual ventures), including dedicated colleagues from the Group’s support functions, based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nairobi, London and San Francisco.