WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Does building a scalable suite of platform services to handle the needs of millions of consumers who engage with the Nike web and app ecosystem interest you? Are you ready to leverage your experience, technology trends and personal creativity to develop new and innovative solutions which delight our consumers? If so, come join the Retail Platform Engineering team to be at the forefront of this technology movement!
As engineering manager for Retail Commerce organization, you will be responsible for building next-generation tools for Nike stores to help them perform sales. This includes Front of House –Point Of Sale systems and Back of House reporting and store management systems. Our systems are used in 37 countries, and we serve 540M consumers and 46,000 athletes annually. We are in process of modernizing our tools from legacy solutions to cloud based architecture. We are adding omni channel capabilities to our tools to serve our consumers better. This is a team that’s always on the offense, working on innovative solutions, and building world-class experiences to serve Nike members around the globe. Ensuring your teams can execute effectively is the highest priority and will be facilitated by the Engineering Manager by fielding the right team, measuring and adjusting in an Agile environment and ensuring the right work, with the right scope and the right timelines are aligned and agreed upon.
Nike does more than gear-up the world’s best athletes. Nike is a place to explore your potential, obliterate boundaries, and push out the edges of what can be. We thrive in a culture that embraces diversity and rewards imagination. At Nike, it’s about bringing your skills and talents to a challenging and constantly evolving game in a supportive work environment.
WHO WILL YOU WORK WITH?
While Nike Digital Engineering is a big place, our team’s primary concern is building a platform to improve how we engage with our consumers through targeted communications.
We operate the systems we develop and have a rotating on-call schedule for off-hours contact but during office hours, the team as a whole handles incidents.
We practice continuous delivery – every merged pull request goes directly to production with appropriate feature flagging.
We collaborate to help each other grow our knowledge and engineering practices, encouraging frequent demos, knowledge sharing sessions, and mentoring relationships where it proves helpful to both the individual and team success.
AS A LEADER ON THIS TEAM, YOU’LL BE EXPECTED TO:
- Successfully operate within our engineering environment and help guide its evolution over time
- Review technical designs, code, and tests, giving supportive feedback and asking good questions
- Help build and grow a collaborative environment that rewards experiments, initiative, curiosity, and mentoring
- Partner with other engineering and product leaders to build out the service ecosystem
- Work with your team and peer teams dedicated to content management, membership, notification delivery, and digital marketing to deliver an end-to-end integrated communications platform
Principles we believe in that we hope you share:
- Our leaders and teams should have a strong sense of pragmatism in how they approach delivering value to consumers
- A strong focus on continuous improvement is vital to growth
- Clear and honest communication builds trust in both our teams and our peers across the organization
- Setting expectations and asking for the same from others allows us to ensure we’re working towards success as a team
- Providing space for innovation and learning enables a team that is able to act with confidence and maturity when encountering novel situations and challenges
- Providing direction, empowering your team, and ensuring they have opportunities to grow make for a happy and productive team
WHAT YOU WILL BRING?
- Bachelor’s degree or combination of relevant education, experience, and training
- You have at least 3+ years of experience working with different programming languages
- You can design and build web services and event processors using cloud technologies
- You love to learn, grow, and effectively bring new ideas to the team
- You are comfortable and confident in providing guidance and mentorship to your team and colleagues across the organization. You lead by example and set clear expectations
- You have relevant professional experience or a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, (or another relevant field) with good working knowledge of basic computer science data structures and algorithms
- Your broad spectrum of knowledge about data analysis, databases and related data storage paradigms, programming languages, and frameworks informs your decisions
- You understand scalable, highly available, and eventually consistent distributed systems
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- You value collaboration and interaction with your teammates and colleagues, defaulting to sharing early and looking for help when needed over-delivering perfect results
Open to remote work, except cannot work in South Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia. These candidates will be required to relocate. For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at $117,000 per year.