Sony Music Entertainment
There are two finance internships within the Sony Music finance departments: Central Finance and Commercial Finance.
The Central Finance department sits on top of Sony Music UK’s many labels. This role will get great exposure to management accounting, financial reporting and financial operations. The primary focus for this role is within the P&L team accountable for consolidating, analysing and interrogating the UK’s monthly results. To do so requires comprehensive use of our systems and maintaining a good relationship with our labels.
Commercial (or Label) Finance support the core business with all finance related matters. This covers a wide scope of activities; from ensuring suppliers are paid on time, through to making recommendations regarding signing new artists. We work closely with marketing, sales, legal, royalties and production teams within Sony Music which means we have an excellent understanding of how the company operates and are kept up to date with key developments in the industry. Our team play a key role in ensuring Sony Music achieve their annual budgets each year.
What you’ll do
- Prepare monthly financial and commercial reports for management meetings
- Liaise with sales, marketing and legal teams to prepare accurate rolling forecasts
- Liaise with Sony UK labels to prepare commentary for New York for actuals, forecasts & budget
- Work closely other members of the team to prepare accurate and timely month end results.
- Responsibility for several balance sheet key account reconciliations.
- You will be a cost centre owner responsible for multiple cost centres, and prepare commentary on overhead variances.
- Support the reporting team at month end, running key reports and analysis.
- Provide assistance with monthly forecasting and annual budgeting submits.
- Become a superuser of our finance systems so you can provide expense and purchase order system administrative support.
- Prepare, process and post invoices for finance department.
- Run P&L analysis reports & prepare analysis on ad hoc queries for key tracks or artists.
- Helping control marketing spends within the Commercial Group by analysing sales revenue generated and trend analysis and making recommendations for caps on spending.
- Take responsibility for the profitability of new titles by putting together P&L models to suggest suitable pricing or costs.
- Take responsibility for reporting & recharging costs to labels & artists for Sony’s brand new Studio (Gin Factory)
- Work with the label & cost centre owners to ensure timely invoicing & payments as necessary.
- Monthly submission of UK sales forecast to global finance system.
- Assist with providing finance support for the 4th Floor Creative group.
- Assist with payment and invoicing for Kontraband (Sony’s merchandise department)
- Set up new non-recording projects for the commercial group, 4th Floor Creative group and Kontraband as necessary.
- Prepare monthly reporting pack for sole use of CFO & VP of Finance.
- Assist with setup & migration of new acquisitions.
Who you are
- You have an interest in finance and how it supports and contributes to the music industry
- You are someone looking to pursue a career in accountancy or finance related role
- You will be self-motivated and focused
- You may have some experience of working in an office (for example, work experience or summer placements, or unpaid experience)
- Mathematics/Engineering, Business or Finance related degree or apprenticeship is preferred
- Experience using MS Office, particularly excel
- You are highly numerate
- You have impeccable attention to detail
- You have strong organisation skills
- You will develop the ability to work across multiple projects at one time and manage your time effectively.
- You will have excellent verbal/written communication skills and social skills
- You will work well towards tight deadlines and be goal orientated
- You have a highly diligent approach to work
What we give you
- Weekly sessions with fellow interns to learn about the wider business.
- Learning and development workshops to help you grow within the working world.
- The opportunity to join our employee resource groups and make a difference to our company.
- 25 days holiday + Bank holidays
- 2 Premium days to use for working on yourself, caring for your mental health or volunteering.
- A credit to use on live gigs.
- Free vinyl