About the job
Who we are:
Northstar is a fintech company that enables employers to offer financial wellness as an employee benefit. Northstar supports employees’ key financial decisions through 1-on-1 financial advisors and innovative financial management tools.
Our customers include leading employers like Zoom, ServiceTitan, Discord, Invitae, and Snap.
After a successful launch in the US, Northstar is expanding to provide this financial guidance benefit to employees in New Zealand.
We are looking for a financial advisor to support Northstar’s launch in New Zealand on a contractor basis (10 hours guaranteed per week, growing quickly). This role will report to the General Manager of Northstar Global. It will involve working directly with Northstar members (client’s employees) to provide client-first financial guidance.
We’re most importantly looking for someone who is excited about our vision and mission. We’re redefining the category of financial wellness and are passionate about making financial planning accessible to all.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with Northstar Planning Leadership to build out the country-specific advice strategy and launch Northstar in New Zealand
- Build customized financial plans and provide actionable guidance to improve clients’ financial health
- Provide education that empowers clients to maximize their employer benefits.
- Support clients and build trusting relationships over a text-based interface, phone, and video calls
- Consult with various members of the Northstar team as a subject-matter expert on financial planning matters
You should have:
- Active, accredited designation to provide financial advice, such as the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERCM marks.
- Expertise in all major financial planning topics
- Experience using financial planning software, adaptability to Northstar proprietary software, and proficiency performing custom spreadsheet analyses
- A track record of providing client-first, comprehensive financial plans to customers in all life stages and from all walks of life
- Strong qualities of empathy, kindness, and emotional intelligence. You know when to take a quantitative logical approach and when to take an emotional approach.
- A high level of agency in a remote startup environment, and a bias toward action.
- Excellent writing skills and communication skills.
- The availability to work directly with your assigned Northstar members for at least 10 hours a week.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re mission-driven. We founded Northstar on the belief that every person deserves the best objective, personalized, and affordable financial management. We don’t make money from secret referral fees and are completely aligned with the customer.
- We are a fintech doing financial planning in an innovative way. You’ll be exposed to the future of financial planning that increases access to advice.
- This allows you to do “real” financial planning centered around the needs of the employee – no business development or investment trading.
- You’ll have international colleagues and learn best practices from planners around the world.
- We have passionate, paying customers, and are scaling quickly.
- We are 100% fully remote, with flexible work schedules.