Gilmour Space Technologies
About the job
All Orbits, All Planets -Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid
propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
Want to build rockets on the Gold Coast? We’re recruiting a Lead Mechanical Engineer to work on
Why you should join our mission:
Our dedicated team is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You
will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing
change in a dynamic environment. This role also offers:
- Proudly working and contributing towards an Australian owned rocket launch company.
- Work in a passionate, vibrant and welcoming team that’s driven to become the largest sovereign space employer in Australia.
- Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, and cognitive diversity, bringing your new bold ideas and being a part of Australia’s space history.
- Thrive and expand your skills and knowledge in an innovative aerospace industry
- Easy access from the M1
How you will contribute to our mission in getting Australia to space:
The below is designed to give you an idea of the role you will play. There will be many more exciting
and innovative things to do.
- Lead and manage a team of engineers developing complex mechanical and structural systems.
- Provide expert direction, mentorship and support of the development, work allocation of the supporting junior team.
- Design and qualify mechanical and structural systems to meet customer and Gilmour Space requirements for product development programs.
- Utilise the full spectrum of the design, analysis, test, and manufacturing tools to create efficient structures and mechanical components.
- Ownership of product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly, and launch.
- Develop test plans for parts through development, qualification, and acceptance testing.
- Review specifications and other data to develop mechanical layouts.
- Analyse and interpret data collected during testing.
- Ability to problem solve and understand complex problems; incumbent must be able to resolve situations that demand solutions.
- Other duties as requested by management
Skills and Experience:
Mandatory Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6+ years of experience with mechanical, or structural design and analysis in a professional setting (excluding internships).
- 4+ years’ hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly, integration and/or testing.
- Highly developed CAD skills developed through design of parts and assemblies (Onshape preferred, Inventor, CATIA etc.), or
- Highly developed simulation skills with at least one commercial FEA or Multiphysics simulation
package (ANSYS preferred or NASTRAN, ABAQUS, CFD codes, etc.)
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining a NV Level 1 Security Clearance.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
We recogniseyou may not meet all of the below, but don’t let that deter you. We are always
looking for hard workers to join our team, so what are you waiting for? Let’s send Australia to
- Professional experience in mechanical design and analysis.
- Hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems, preferably as a lead.
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings.
- Hard worker who enjoys contributing to team goals
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Good time management skills and a strong sense of initiative and can manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, etc).
- Ability to embrace change and try new ideas
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement, and environmental management