British School Jakarta
About the job
The Head of Primary is responsible for the strategic leadership and operational management of the Primary School, and is accountable to the Principal for delivering the highest standards of education and pastoral care. The Head of Primary is also a member of the whole school leadership team (Board of Executive) and will be expected to work closely with the Principal, the Board of Governors and staff to contribute towards the continued success and ongoing strategic development of the British School Jakarta.
- To lead a highly effective Primary School which reflects and supports the core values and mission of the School.
- To provide professional leadership and management within the school which secures high quality learning and teaching, pastoral care and effective use of human and material resources to ensure all students achieve their full potential.
- To ensure the students are provided with the very best learning environment to enable students to develop the skills and attitudes necessary for lifelong learning in the global world.
- As a member of the ‘Whole School Leadership Team’ the Head of Primary plays a key role in strategic development and whole school improvement planning.
General duties and responsibilities include but are not exclusive to;
- Ensuring the academic standards achieved by the school reflect the very best classroom practice, providing academic monitoring and mentoring support
- Overseeing the collaborative planning of the curriculum and the use of assessment for learning to ensure breadth, balance, continuity and consistency.
- Developing and implementing the school self evaluation and school improvement plan.
- Overseeing, leading and monitoring routines and structures throughout the school.
- Producing an annual action plan directly linked to the School Improvement Plan and/or Core Competences.
- Maintaining financial and budgetary controls to ensure sufficient educational resources which supports learning.
- Ensuring that the school is adequately resourced to deliver the curriculum, and that systems are in place for the effective support, development and monitoring of learning.
- Reviewing and developing policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Ensuring that developments within the school are in line with school policies and improvement plans.
- Monitoring and developing the quality of learning and teaching throughout the school and act as a model of excellence. By using standardised assessment and value-added data raising standards and achievement for students throughout the primary school.
- Overseeing the pastoral and academic development of students throughout the school and promoting the development of student voice in the decision making processes.
- Ensuring that CPD training is provided both in-house and from external sources to support the school improvement planning needs.
- Managing the recruitment and selection of staff and that they are provided with elective induction and support.
- Providing core competences for all teaching staff and management post holders.
- Providing management structures for all staff.
- Acting as line manager to the primary leadership team, in conjunction with the primary deputy head, and lead their support, development and performance management
- Ensuring that parents receive regular feedback using appropriate assessment progress and via efficient and detailed reporting procedures.
- Liaising with the other members of the Primary Leadership Team to ensure consistency, continuity and progression in all aspects affecting the primary school.
- Ensuring that students are effectively supported in their transition between the primary and secondary school and between phases within primary.
- Ensuring high quality communication with students, professional colleagues, governors, parents and outside agencies.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with professional colleagues, governors and parents.
- Undertaking any reasonable duties as advised by the Principal.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as Deputy/Head of Primary School
- Hold a Master’s degree in Education (any subject)
- Hold PGCE in a Primary School Subject
- Certificate of NPQH or equivalent will be an advantage