Why Us ?
English and Exams is a dynamic and global community within the British Council, the UK’s international organization for cultural relations. Be part of a unique global teaching team striving to help English language learners achieve their linguistic, study, work, and life goals.
Joining the British Council as a teacher offers flexible opportunities to teach English to young people and adults around the world. Our professional and innovative teaching practices demonstrate and support our values of being open and committed, expert and inclusive, optimistic, and bold. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and provide a nurturing and supportive environment for students, including strong support for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Our teaching centres and online courses build cultural links between the UK and 38 countries around the world, as well as supporting the cultural relations programmes in arts and sciences delivered by the British Council.
- To maintain and enhance professional development and academic quality in the teaching centre, through the management of in-house teacher development programme and support
- To promote and ensure quality teaching and effective learning of English
- To provide learners with a rewarding and stimulating English language learning experience
- To support the wider aims of British Council and its cultural relations mission
Support British Council’s global English strategy by :
- Planning, preparing, and delivering high quality English language teaching that meets the needs of different customer groups taking into account individual learning styles
- Monitoring progress and provide regular feedback to help manage students’ performance throughout the course, and actively promote learner autonomy
- Contributing to the development, evaluation, and improvement of English language courses, materials, and related services
- Ensuring teaching meets the standards expected in Teaching and Learning Reviews, the annual Teaching Excellence Academic Plans, and organizational expectations
- Using technology during lessons when required
- Contributing to the development of lasting, mutually beneficial relationships by enhancing students’ understanding of the contemporary UK
- Ensuring safeguarding and other guidelines are applied and upheld in line with internal standards
- Cambridge CELTA, Trinity, Cert TESOL or equivalent
- Bachelor / First University degree or equivalent
- A minimum of 2 years post-certificate i.e., CELTA/Trinity cert TESOL experience gained from teaching a variety of age groups and levels from young learners through to adults.
- DELTA or Trinity Diploma or relevant PGCE
- TYLEC or YL Extension to CELTA
- MA in ELT/TESOL or other relevant subject
Proven experience and skills in:
• Experience in teaching of the following age groups related to the project:
- Young Learners aged 4 to 7
- Young learners aged 8 to 12 (600+ hours)
- Young learners aged 13 to 17 (600+hours)
- Adults aged 17+ (600+ hours)
Salary & Benefits
- Salary: Hourly Paid Teaching Rates per hour (including preparation time) range from: 633 Thai Baht for a level 2 core teacher to 706.5 Thai Baht for a level 3 Higher Teacher.
- Contract Length: Locally Appointed Hourly-Paid Contract – till April – May end 2023 (with possibility to extend by mutual agreement.
- Work schedule: Working hours involve regular Saturdays, Sundays and / or evening classes finishing at up to 21:45, as well as travel to branch centres.
- Passport requirements /Right to work in country: All offers will be conditional on the approval of the applicant’s work visa by the relevant local authorities and the approval of the appointment by the partner school(s). The British Council cannot obtain a work permit for instructors’ partners but will offer guidance in helping them obtain visas where possible.
- Allowances : Accommodation/Medical (As applicable by region/country norms)
- Annual Leave : Teachers are entitled to paid leave per year as per standard British Council policy
- Work permit/ Right to Work : Depends on country-based terms & condition/ Local restrictions & policies
- Contract type: Hourly Paid
- Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Duration : Termly (renewable)
- The Employee shall commit to the assigned timetable as provided by the Employer.
- The Employee’s salary shall be calculated on an hourly-rate basis for each hour worked, along with welfare benefits as applicable.
- The Employer reserves the right to offer zero working hours on non-teaching days and during Songkran and other holiday periods.
- Working hours : Involve regular Saturdays, Sundays and / or evening classes finishing at up to 21:45, as well as travel to branch centres