About the job
- Help us achieve our mission while honing your HR skills
- Join a team dedicated to creating positive social impact
- Enjoy a competitive salary plus excellent benefits
About Legal Aid BC
Legal Aid BC (LABC) is a non-profit organization created by the Legal Services Society Act in 1979 to provide legal information, advice, and representation services. Our vision is to be a client-focused legal aid that ensures access to justice for all, with a mission to provide legal aid services that people need, and to promote better access to justice.
At LABC, we know that our continued ability to help the people who need us is due to the hardworking individuals who make up our team, dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people in need. We foster a positive culture of open communication for our team to thrive within, underpinned by our values of service, diversity, integrity, accountability, and leadership.
An Opportunity to Make an Impact
Currently, we are seeking for a full-time Human Resources Advisor with a strong focus on Labour Relations and Organizational Development, to join our team based in downtown Vancouver, BC. You will be working mostly from home during the current pandemic, and will transition to working a few days in the office and a few days at home once the pandemic subsides.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, this position provides a full range of general human resources services which include: employee and labour relations, contract and policy administration, management coaching, performance management, recruitment, job classification,
HRIS administration and salary/benefits administration.
The Advisor acts as a liaison between the LABC and union staff representatives and provides strategic leadership assistance to various stakeholders, on a wide spectrum of human resources programs, services, and management issues.
Key accountabilities include, but aren’t limited to:
- Participating in the planning of HR programs and services for the LABC
- Providing support and assistance to VPs, managers, and supervisors on HR matters
- Ensuring all HR matters are in compliance with LABCs policies
- Managing full recruitment cycle which includes advertising, screening, interviewing, background checks, and preparing offer letters
- Identifying opportunities to improve current procedures
- Providing mentorship to HR Coordinator
- Working with management and staff on collective agreement articles
- Participating in the development of bargaining plan strategies
- Researching and preparing of Employer arguments for grievances and arbitration
Salary, Benefits and HRIS Administration :
- Managing short and long-term disability benefits
- Liaising with brokers and providers on benefits, approvals, and renewals, and make appropriate recommendations to management
- Approving leave requests and entitlements such as sick, maternity, parental, etc.
- Responding to Municipal Pension Plan enquiries and assisting with retirement planning
- Maintaining salary scales and benefits, including preparing annual increment pay advisories, and responding to issues
- Advising Payroll/Benefits Administrator on all salary matters arising from various HR activities
- Maintenance of the HRIS system
- Completing various surveys and reports, and preparing metrics to analyze HR services being delivered
- Providing statistical data to departments for budget purposes
More About You
To qualify you will need at least 4 years of experience in a relevant HR Generalist level, with strong exposure in labour relations advisory, unionized environment, government policies, administration, and interpretation of collective agreements and grievance handling.
A Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in a recognized Human Resources, Business Administration, Management, Industrial Relations, or other relevant programs, is required in this role.
Candidates with the following will be considered an asset (but not required):
- CHRP designation, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience working within or with a Crown, non-profit, or government organizations
- Knowledge HRIS (specifically Ceridian Dayforce)
- Proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, MS Teams, and Zoom
As our new HR Advisor, you have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, unions, management, and external contacts. You’re a superior communicator who works well within a team environment or independently, and possesses excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
You are also able to exercise flexibility in balancing changing priorities and accommodating timelines, armed with your strong sense of detail, initiative, positive mindset, and collaborative attitude.
Above all, you’ve proven effective delivery of recommendations and resolutions of sensitive HR matters while maintaining confidentiality, tact, and professionalism at all times.
Please note: For the safety and well-being of our clients and employees, we require proof of COVID-19 vaccination before commencing employment. Accommodations will be made for those exempt from the COVID-19 vaccination based on grounds protected by relevant human rights law.
What We Offer
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary based on your skills and experience, as well as comprehensive benefits, including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start, that grows the longer you’re with LABC
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LABC
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and professional development
- An employee and family assistance counselling program
- $200 a year towards Employee Wellness programs
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holiday
- Huge opportunities to grow this role and your career within our organization
Upon joining LABC you’ll be welcomed into a friendly environment where communication is valued at all levels. The work we do is highly rewarding and allows us to make a tangible positive difference in the lives of others.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to work for an organization that is making a difference – apply today!