United Nations ESCAP
About the job
Human Resources Assistant, G5
Job Opening number:
About the position:
This position is located in the HR Advisory and Client Management Team (HRACMT) of the Human Resources Management Section (HRMS), in the Division of Administration (DA). The incumbent reports to the Human Resources Officer.
Under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Officer, and overall supervision of the Chief of Human Resources Management Section, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
Recruitment and placement
• Assists in the filling of posts, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
• Coordinates with Executive Offices and selected candidates on travel arrangements, visa matters and shipment of personal effects.
• Prepares personnel actions.
• Advises staff on benefits and entitlement and other admin matters.
Administration of entitlements
• Reviews and processes requests for entitlements and claims.
• Maintains Umoja entitlements reference tables.
• Assists in the review and processing of data pertaining to conditions of service.
Staff development and career support training
• Assists in the organization and conduct of training courses and workshops with in the team.
• Provides logistics and administrative support to trainers.
• Provides general office support services; drafts and/or processes a variety of correspondence and other communications.
• Sets up and maintains reference files/records (electronic and paper).
• Schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
• Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
• Maintains automated database containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
• Assists in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
• Performs a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment, etc.).
• May provide guidance/training to less experienced staff.
• Performs other duties as required.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience in the United Nations Common System or international organizations is desirable.
Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning software, i.e. SAP or Peoplesoft in HR modules and MS office is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.