Narcity Media Group
About the job
Who We Are:
At Narcity, we’re building the future of local media, and we want you to be a part of our Global Neighbourhood. Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and MTLBlog.com . Our staff and network of world-class creators interact with millions of Millennials and Gen Zs monthly through our websites, social channels, mobile apps, syndication partners and email subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in the global, the national, the local and the hyper-local — simultaneously. That is why our teams of writers, editors and content creators across our four publications keep our audience informed on all topics, from breaking news to trending content from across the internet, as well as the best travel spots to add to your bucket list and local restaurants to eat at. Readers can come to Narcity to find out where to go for dinner and discover the biggest stories of the day to talk about over their meal.
Your Team :
Narcity Media’s rapidly expanding Editorial team is made up of energetic multi-platform content creators who know how to engage with Gen Z and Millennial readers, helping them discover the undiscovered by highlighting the most interesting news, places, people and ideas in their cities and beyond.
Narcity Media is looking to hire a motivated and experienced Ontario Editor to join our expanding editorial team. The editor will play a pivotal role in our daily news operation and lead our coverage in Toronto and throughout the province. We are seeking a storyteller who loves Toronto and wants to express it through the creation of engaging and relatable content. The Ontario Editor will manage our Ontario Desk, composed of two editors and five writers who are focused on Toronto and Ottawa. Our Ontario Desk covers everything from politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is trending in the province and our cities.
The right candidate should have a strong reporting or news background and be able to meet challenging goals set for the desk while pushing our journalism forward. They should have a finger on the pulse of what’s trending in Ontario and a strong network of sources to connect with. We’re looking for an ambitious and independent thinker who knows what millennials care about, and has a knack for covering a range of topics — from politics to entertainment, travel and viral news — in a concise and digestible manner. Our editors want Narcity to be the best source of information for their communities, whether it’s breaking down new legislation, spotlighting extraordinary local characters, or spreading the word about public health issues. You should be excited about breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
- Leading a desk of Writers/Reporters/Associate Editors in the creation of timely, daily content
- Supporting the team in researching, assigning, editing, and writing articles that drive reader engagement and grow Narcity’s audience
- Ensuring the team delivers consistency in storytelling skills, output & traffic while also contributing personally where possible/required
- Guiding the team in how to create compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Planning ahead with weekly, monthly and annual content calendars
- Leading coverage of breaking news events & making sure we’re first
- Leading team brainstorms and ensures a steady flow of original content and exclusive interviews
- Owning the recruitment, training and management of team members with support from the manager
- Managing data analysis and responding with assignments & content strategy changes
- Consistently demonstrating a deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in a given market
- Setting the voice and tone for Narcity in your market, staying on top of current events and maintaining a strong network of local sources
- Ensuring the team is delivering on Narcity’s voice and tone and respecting brand and quality guidelines for all content
- Ensuring all information from the team is properly cited and factually accurate & ability to fix basic legal issues and corrections
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline during terms of employment and acting as an ambassador for the brand
- Ensuring the team is creating multi-platform content for all Narcity’s channels (articles, video, social, etc) where relevant
- Acting as a role model in terms of a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- 2-5 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field is considered an asset
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming.
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice.
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and news topics.
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule with occasional evening and weekend work.
- Flexible: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Organized: Plans, organizes, and schedules objectives in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Attentive to Detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Knowledgeable: Must be passionate and knowledgeable about journalism in Canada while understanding the needs of a digital publication.
Position Type & Salary Range:
This is a permanent remote position based in Ontario, Canada. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We are committed to offering our employees the best employee experience through the following benefits:
- Flexible schedule and time off policy
- 1 extra week – Company-wide end of the year paid time off
- Permanent remote work policy and 1x $500 for office upgrades
- Annual wellness fund
- On-demand mental and physical well-being platform with over 250 live classes per week
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Extended health care
- Dependent life insurance
- Accidental death insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Bi-annual market-based salary adjustments
Equal Access and Opportunity Commitment:
Narcity Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage our people to grow and thrive by being their true selves. We are committed to removing systemic barriers in the workplace and building a company that reflects the community that we serve at every level. We are devoted to building a company that is part of the solution and not the problem.
The same goes for our applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Narcity Media regardless of age, national origin, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply now — we can’t wait to talk with you!
Some roles may require completing skills and knowledge assessments after the screening interview. P.S. We really, really love PDF CVs. it allows candidates to truly showcase their talents in the format they have chosen to display them. Follow this link to learn how to convert your resume into a PDF.