About the job
Northwestel is seeking a driven, curious and collaborative Senior Manager, Accounting to join the team!
Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position is responsible for all accounting matters related to the Corporation and its subsidiaries. This position leads the development and implementation of policies, procedures, controls and reporting to facilitate accurate, timely and relevant accounting records. Ensuring company assets are protected, risks are minimized and financial methodologies and measurement tools (policies, procedures, and programs) are in place to allow effective management of the various business units. This involves directing and leading the staff in all accounting cycles: Financial Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Revenue Assurance. The incumbent serves as the central point of escalation within the Corporate Services organization for all accounting issues.
- Leadership, mentoring and coaching of the accounting management team, responsible for general accounting, accounts receivables, accounts payables and revenue assurance functions from a General ledger perspective.
- Provide direction and support to the accounting management team to ensure they are providing leadership, mentoring and coaching to their direct reports in the functions of General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Revenue Assurance ensuring appropriate development and competency enhancement.
- Ensure timely, accurate, relevant and reliable reporting on monthly, quarterly and annual financial information to line supervisors, managers, executive, and shareholders of the Company and subsidiaries.
- Ensure the safeguarding of assets via appropriate accounting controls, proper risk management processes and facilitating the implementation of internal and external audit identified risk mitigation plans.
- Corporate tax compliance and planning including accurate and timely preparation of tax remittances and account reconciliations.
- Ensure timely, accurate, relevant and reliable revenue accounting and related tax issues.
- Efficient operation of the accounts payable and disbursement function and related controls.
- Efficient operation of the accounts receivable functions and related controls from an overall GL perspective.
- Ensure accurate and timely accounting of the organization property, plant, and equipment. Including accurate depreciation and amortization methodologies and procedures and aspects of Fixed Assets including ARO, AUC and Reclass of Assets.
- Ensure accurate and timely process for revenue assurance and related activities.
- Actively participate in a leadership capacity in various cross-departmental teams to plan and execute strategic business objectives.
- Work with Bell regarding all reporting compliance and follow ups of Inter-company transactions
- Responsible for the accounting of subsidiary companies. in terms of accounting
- Ensure reconciliation of all GL Accounts including entries coming from other application tools namely SSOL and Ultipro.
- Responsible for keeping the company abreast of IFRS developments and evolving financial developments and issues as well as developing strategies and tactics to ensure compliance with changing requirements.
- The Accounting team delivers services to a variety of internal and external customers. Customer Service excellence in terms of delivering against agreed needs of Finance customers from both a quality and timeliness perspective is also a key part of the Sr. Manager’s mandate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree complemented by a CPA. accounting designation with a minimum of 10 years appropriate and applicable work experience.
- At least 5 years of staff management experience at the professional level.
- Must be well versed in IFRS, as well as other technical aspects of accounting and corporate taxation.
- Proficient with accounting systems and processes, preferably with the SAP financial system.
- Knowledge of the telecommunications industry would be an asset.
- Must be an excellent negotiator, problem solver, relationship builder and strategic thinker.
- Strong analytical, planning, communication (oral, written and presentation), staff management and interpersonal skills are critical.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.