At Dentsu our purpose is to help create lasting good and sustainable value for society. Social Impact is our strategy for achieving this. It’s an articulation of how Dentsu uses its collective passion, talent and capability to generate shared value globally. It’s about future proofing our business, scaling impact through our client eco-system and creating a more diverse, equitable and inclusive society.
The APAC Head of / Director Social Impact (Sustainability) is responsible for directing all activity within the region, working closely with the regional leadership team and market CEOs to localise, activate and implement the global strategy. Responsibilities include the creation of new programmes, interventions and goals that will inspire and drive the organisation to deliver social impact at scale. Key areas of focus include Climate Action, Sustainable Consumption, Gender Equality and Digital Rights. This role will work in collaboration with subject matter experts within the Global Social Impact team as well as functional, commercial and market leadership teams across APAC providing an injection of fresh thinking informed by deep subject matter expertise. The role holder will activate the strategy through new and existing partnerships and work with the APAC communications team to activate and engage a wider range of stakeholders, both internal and external. The role holder will be a member of the global Social Impact leadership team
Head of Social Impact, APAC
- Support in the development of global and regional strategy to build an inspiring, realistic, strong Social Impact value chain plan and narrative for APAC. This includes research and expert discussions to accelerate and amplify the Social Impact priorities for APAC.
- Monitor sustainability trends and competitors initiatives to support process improvement within dentsu.
- Manage internal systems and procedures relevant to sustainability, community engagement, committee governance and processes including NGO and Agency onboarding.
- Create and design regional programmes and interventions that align with global strategy and can be tailored to local market requirements
- Establish partnerships and initiatives to accelerate progress, engage stakeholders and raise awareness of Dentsu’s role in driving delivery of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. This means collaborating with Sustainability partners (e.g. SB), governments, NGOs, human-centred change experts, insights, dentsu partners to help us build a stronger sustainability value chain.
- Collaborate with global communications and marketing teams to create thought leadership and generate awareness and advocacy of Dentsu’s strategy internally and externally
- Engage stakeholders across the markets to secure buy-in for the strategy and mobilise resources
- Support the global social impact team with the global reporting cycle and relevant ratings and disclosure. This includes providing support to stakeholders for statutory/regulatory filings and CSR Audit.
- Foster and drive team coordination, collaboration and provide leadership to a virtual and multi-cultural team.
- Work with Social Impact global team on the supply side to ensure we are in alignment and creating amplifying workstreams.
- Bring together APAC wide community of change-makers and catalysts and build the Social Impact culture. Using the purpose as an anchor, inspire a community of people across dentsu – working in and across markets, regions, SLs and Functions, as well as Social Impact team globally – to integrate assets into commercial propositions and make it real.
- Role model the 8 ways behaviours through Mindful Leadership – employing openness, intuition, empathy, creativity, equality, balance, and energy, and grounded in our 8 ways, shared vision and purpose. Help build strength and power from within.
- 10 years in sustainability or related roles plus relevant experience in strategy, marketing, corporate affairs or policy.
- Experience in media, marketing or advertising for global brands – in-house or agency – preferred.
- Degree level qualified, and/or a master’s degree in sustainability, sustainable design, social sustainability studies, MBA or other related master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal and experience of engaging at C-suite level.
- Proven track record of creating, designing, executing and driving strategy in multi-cultural environments. Experience of working in Japan desirable.
- Established networks across the industry, NGOs, government, and academia.
- Good working knowledge of all or 2 of these 3 markets: India, China and Australia.
- In-depth knowledge of sustainability and related disciplines as well as relevant frameworks and policies eg the UN Sustainable Development Goals, UN Global Compact etc.
- Creative, strategic, analytical, and innovative with the ability to translate complex thinking into strategy and initiatives
- A self-starter, with experience in diplomatically resolving issues through understanding conflicting inputs, achieving alignment, and proposing go-forward solutions.
- Drive a shift of mindset, to influence and mobilise cross-functional and multi-cultural stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- A leader who promotes collaboration and good teamwork
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to translate complex information into engaging strategies and proposals
- Fluent English.
You will enjoy working in our team and perform well if you can answer “yes” to the following:
- Can you get valuable things done even when there are multiple barriers to doing so?
- Are your default settings energetic, optimistic, actions focused, solutions focused?
- Can you thrive in a very agile, constantly and rapidly changing environment?
- Are you resilient and able to roll with the punches?
- Are you a self-starter able to move forward with minimal direction and without full clarity?
- Are you an excellent influencer able to get people on board with your ideas?
- Can you communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively (even on technical subjects) with time poor stakeholders?
- Do you have a strong attention to detail, taking pride in delivering first class outputs?
- Do you have an ‘easy user interface?’
- Do you intuitively know when to challenge and when to pull back and/or try another route to getting what you need from people?
- Are you adept at pulling out approaches and learnings and developing these for use at scale?
- Are you hardwired with a mentality of reflect, learn, share, improve?
- Are you collaborative by nature?
- Do you prioritize business and team outcomes over your own?
- Can you work well alone on projects and as part of a team (whether in the office or remotely)?